Thursday, November 3, 2016

Fall Beets and Borscht {recipe included}


I tried something new this week! 

I made borscht, the delicious soup that makes us all think of Russia and its surrounding countries.

Though it was three months ago that I canned my beets, I left a few in the ground that were way too tiny to even make a pickled beet from. Those itty bitty beets grew to be nice big ones and I got a mini fall harvest the other day. Mini harvest, like... four or five nice sized beets, which is too little to process, but perfect for a couple of meals fresh! 

Back in my husband's days living under his family's roof, they had a Russian family live in with them for awhile. This was their recipe, which I acquired in a collection of "Recipes from the Farm" as a wedding gift from hubby's sister. 

It is a bit time consuming to make and you have to start it early in the day, but let me tell you ... the flavor is so worth it. It tasted so much better than I was expecting. I admit I was nervous because it was new to me and well, I didn't have a single picture to go by, so I had no idea if I was doing it right. Maybe I wasn't, but I am happy with the results nonetheless. 

I can't just tell you about it. It's time I post a recipe for you all, so I will give you my version of Borscht. The original recipe made a much larger batch, so I cut it in half and did a "give or take" on the exact amounts, because I didn't use a measuring cup, so don't be afraid to eyeball it. I bet Russian housewives do the same thing. I also was very cautious on the spices the recipe called for and added a few of my own on top of that, including the garlic, which I found was a staple addition to most other borscht recipes I've seen.






No comments:

Post a Comment