Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Cooking for a Crowd: Episode 7 - Ice Cream Sundaes

This last weekend has brought more than just extra cooking for our monthly crowd meal. Each year we host a big party at our house and that just so happened to be this past Saturday. There's always a lot of work going into hosting an event of that size (we were planning for 100), but we enjoy hosting everybody, being able to catch up with friends, and watching them all have a good time. Plus, we get the added bonus of a cleaned-up homeplace and some leftover food!

Speaking of food (since Cooking for a Crowd is all about finding budget-worthy meals for high guest count), I made sloppy joe using 25 lbs. of ground beef, which I found locally for 1.59/lb, and the hamburger buns were bought from a bakery "thrift store" at $0.75/package. We had a good 5 lbs. of sloppy joe leftover, and lots of buns, which I have been cutting up and freezing as crumbs for meatloaf or hamburgers, and cubes for egg casseroles. I normally have homemade bread around that I  canuse for those recipes, but since these burger buns were left over and otherwise would've gone in the trash (which essentially is throwing money away), I figure I might as well try and use 'em, since I make things requiring bread crumbs/cubes fairly regularly. I'll see how convenient it actually is having them in the freezer, since I know it can take a little while for bread to thaw. I did put them in pre-measured portions, which I recommend! Last winter I froze extra cornbread in crumbs for the same purpose, but dumped them all in one bag. When it came time that I needed to use them, it was one giant, frozen bread chunk, and it was no easy chore breaking apart as much as I needed while still frozen. I'm hoping the smaller portions will help solve that problem. 

Knowing I had a party to host Saturday and Crowd Dessert on Sunday, I didn't have time to make anything over the weekend for the dessert. So, since we also had ice cream at the party, I got an extra pail for the Sunday meal. The ice cream toppings that were leftover went with it on Sunday, as well. It was not the most inexpensive dessert I could've come up with, but it was easy, and I was willing to pay a little extra for the convenience.  

When Sunday rolled around, I ended up staying home due to not feeling well, so Aaron took the ice cream over. He didn't come back with any, so I assume it all got eaten. It was a one gallon container, which I found on sale for $5.99. The toppings were sprinkles (around 1 1/2 cups worth), and homemade chocolate magic shell. I'm not sure if the magic shell must've hardened, if he stuck it in the fridge while over there, or if people didn't consume as much as I expected, because a decent portion of what I sent with him came back. I'm not sure the exact cost of the toppings, but all in all, it was an $8+ dessert. Divide that by 40, and you get around 21c/serving. That's twice the Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, and three times the cost of last month's Snickerdoodle Cookies


No comments:

Post a Comment