Monday, July 23, 2018

A Peek into Our Day


Showing Adam how to write the letter "A". He did super well for his first time!


Our garden pickings this week included the first tomatoes and cucumbers! Looks like we should be making some pickles later this week. Also, we got two summer squash which went out to the roadside stand. 


Lunch was zucchini patties (click here for recipe). So delicious! I could've made twice as much and devoured them all.


The kids enjoyed some leftovers from the much-needed rains we got the last couple days.


Playing hide-and-seek under blankets. 💕 Her smile is so charming, and her giggles of delight music to the ears!


 I did some research on a few topics, including my two budding hobbies. Hard cheese making, and sourdough bread. Of course this meant browsing some websites for money spending opportunities on some needed supplies. I'm waiting to start a sourdough starter until tonight, and the cheese might be awhile still until I'm ready to dive into that, since I need a few things first, including Aaron to make me a dutch cheese press.


Skimming cream for butter making!


I had a feeling the butter was going to be done soon, but continued to keep my back turned until this happened. I was RIGHT THERE, too. This wasn't the first time my butter has exploded everywhere, either. After the first time (a couple weeks ago), I decided to always pull the mixer away from the wall so any potential spills would land on the tabletop. Of course this was the one time I forgot to do that since the first episode. 

And at this moment my cheese was also done and ready to be squeezed out and salted, and baby woke up. So I left the butter and the cheese and headed to the living room for some baby cuddles. As I sat there soaking up the love, a chipmunk popped out from under one of our couches. I sat there watching until he finally saw me and darted back. HOW DID HE GET IN OUR HOUSE???? I grabbed a stick to poke and prod around back there and try to chase him out the front door. Of course Adam woke from his nap in this time, and excitedly joined us in the chipmunk hunting. Mr. Chipmunk was pretty terrified being chased around the back of the couches, but I'm pretty sure he ended up racing out the front door to his hole at the bottom of the porch. 

While I'm not the least bit excited that we had a chipmunk in the house, this may just confirm that yesterday's signs of a critter indoors was probably not a rat, as I had presumed. 


After all that, I went to finish rinsing the butter, and packaged away nearly two pounds!


And I finished the mozzarella cheese curds and stuck them away in the freezer so we can still eat pizza and casseroles when we have less milk available.


Not pictured: Random other moments like laundry, washing dishes, cleaning off one of my bulk food shelves in the kitchen, eating chocolate, and wondering what to make for supper. 






No comments:

Post a Comment