Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Grapes!

Grapes. This was my new experiment! We have a vine on our property that normally gives a handful or two of pitiful looking grapes. Over the weekend though, as I headed back from an evening walk to the garden, there husband and son sat happily munching. (It was absolutely adorable seeing Adam pull them off and stuff them into his mouth!) Aaron exclaimed at how the vines were loaded and it was a shame that they would have to go to waste. There were indeed a fair amount ripening, so I suggested grape juice. 


Something else had found the delicious fruit before us and left a scattering of skins behind, so we knew our chance to pick them was now. Grabbing a colander, I got as many as I could before dark. Often grapes are pretty buggy (at least ours are), so I had to do a fair amount of sorting when I got in the house. I'd say around 60% were good, useable grapes. 

My mom had made grape juice back home and let me tell you! That stuff was addicting. Every Sunday evening Dad would make popcorn, and that grape juice paired ever so perfectly! The recipe mom had was for filling half gallon jars, but being as there are only three of us in this household, we didn't need two quarts in one sitting. At least not now with how limited our grape production is. I had just over three cups salvaged, which was enough for three quart jars of juice. Three days that we will get to enjoy this delicious treat! 


Here's how I made it. Put one cup of grapes in each jar. Ideally you should have just over a cup per quart, but this is what I had. Add 2-3 Tbsp honey. (I accidentally added twice the amount per jar, as I was cutting the recipe in half but forgot during this step. The grapes weren't quite at their prime full-ripeness, so it probably needed a touch more sweetener, anyway.) If you wish to use sugar instead, add 1/4-1/2 cup per jar, depending on how sweet you think you'd prefer it. I like to be able to taste as much natural sweetness and flavor from the fruit as possible, so I normally try to aim a bit lower on the amount of sweetener added. Pour hot water into the jars until full, leaving a little bit of headspace. Process in a hot water bath canner for 10 minutes, let set for another 10 minutes before removing your jars, and done! (Note: if you used sugar and it hasn't completely dissolved at this point, simply tip the jar on its side.)


I can't wait to see how it turned out! I'll have to give you an update when we do open a jar to taste. That is, if I don't die from it's awesomeness. I'm counting on it being everything grape juice should.

No comments:

Post a Comment