Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Visit to the Library


After living here for two years, I finally made it to the library and got my library card! I'm not much of a book person, but I like libraries. They hold a wealth of information for the low cost of whatever time you have to spend. (Or happen to spend, for those who "accidentally" take a good deal of time inside poring over books.) It was kind of an exciting time for me. I used to be a frequent library-goer back home. And here now I have my very own library card once again! 


I think one reason I like them is because books are so expensive and good ones can be hard to find. I'd rather browse what's available locally for free than take a chance at something for a price tag. I almost never get the opportunity to read and it's not something I do for fun, either. But... I have a weakness. Children's books. From the good old classics for an avid school-aged reader to the cute, clean stories and wonderful illustrations inside the cover of something for the younger generation. I guess it's all a novelty. It brings back memories of my own childhood. So I can't help but get excited when I find something that reminds me of days gone by! 

Growing up, we had a decent collection of old Little Golden Books. There are so many of them that I recall looking at for hours on end. When I see the golden binding peeking out from its place on a bookshelf, I just have to see which one it is! All too often though, my eyes have been deceived and it's one of the new modern Disney stories. That's what I was expecting this morning. But instead, it was an old Richard Scarry ABC book. Just the fact that it held his old illustrations made me happy, even if I didn't recognize the cover. I flipped through the pages anyway, and it wasn't long before my trusty but rusty old memory pulled out some files that had long been forgotten!!! We did have this book growing up, and I had completely forgotten it ever existed. But the three pages below confirmed that yes, indeed, my little eyes have scanned this one before! I recognized so many details in each of the pictures. I can't tell you how excited I am. But it doesn't end here! Today I learned that this library has a little room of books that are for sale, and nothing is over 25 cents. Children's titles are only .10! THIS book was in that little room, so for the cost of a little ten-cent coin, I danced merrily back to my car with a treasure. 



1 comment:

  1. Hey, that means for every pop can you pick up on the side of the road, you can add a book to the little guy's library!

    My library patronage goes in fits and starts. One thing I like is finding obscure books with obscure information that most people have forgotten about. It makes me feel special... :p

    ReplyDelete