Thursday, April 27, 2017

Transplanting Tomatoes


I finally got the chance to take care of our growing tomato forest! We had beautiful weather yesterday which made for a perfect opportunity to get out and play in some dirt. I'd been meaning to get around to transplanting the seedlings for some time, as they had been outgrowing their little starter pellets. This is something I've never had to do before! In the past I've been so late in the game getting my seeds started that they've been only this tall by the time the weather was ready for outdoor planting. The last frost date is still a month away for where we are in mid-northern Michigan, so things are looking promising for an earlier harvest this year. Everyone always seemed to have tomato sandwich juice dripping down their chin way before we had our first ripe fruit. 



After one unsuccessful try using potting soil last year, I hesitated at the idea of moving the plants to bigger pots, but my brilliant man suggested using dirt from our garden. It's going right back in there anyways! So that's what I filled them with. Somehow our trowel has gone missing since last summer, so I had to get creative and used a teacup to scoop the dirt. 



I took Adam out with me expecting him to get dirty, but he spent half the time sitting on the grass playing with the pots. It surprised me, since I know he likes playing in dirt! Then he spotted a rock peeping out of a deer track and went on a mission uncovering it. He plopped down on his belly and dug away! The boy mom in me chuckled as he got up and wiped his hand across his mouth, and then reached in and grabbed his tongue with a puzzled look on his face, leaving a nice brown streak behind. His immune system should be nice and strong after this summer! I've heard that kids should consume a certain amount of dirt in their childhood, so we're off to a good start on getting that accomplished. 





No comments:

Post a Comment