Monday, March 20, 2017

Eating Alkaline



In an effort to include more alkaline-forming foods in my diet, I've been experimenting with my own new recipes and reintroducing other yummy foods that I don't normally purchase on a regular basis. 

One of my more delicious meals features a knock-off oatmeal - made with millet, and enhanced with cinnamon, butter, and maple syrup. I kind of happened on it by accident. 
I thought I was cooking quinoa but didn't realize until I had eaten most of it that I had grabbed the jar of millet instead. I thought the texture seemed different but figured it was because I didn't cook it quite long enough (though I followed the directions... for quinoa), and it didn't click how vastly different the flavor was! You'd think I had never cooked either before. Well ... I hadn't, but I've eaten them both a few times in my day. 

The blooper ended up being much better, and I think a far more pleasing flavor too, than it would've been had I grabbed the jar of quinoa. The unfortunate part of this dish is after checking the two stores in town that sell bulk grains, I realized millet is hard to find, as neither carried it. I would guess the health food store in the "city" might, but I don't know. 

I'm not an oatmeal person (unless it's baked), so this discovery may add a nice variation to my old breakfast routine, which was most often just eggs and toast. Pairing the millet with an egg and grapefruit gave me a bit of protein and made it a well-rounded (pun intended) meal. Another reason I give this plate such a great rating is because I felt absolutely amazing all morning. Breakfast didn't sit heavy and lasted me well until lunchtime. 



No comments:

Post a Comment